How to Remove Tonsil Stones You Can’t See: Get Rid of It In 4 Easy Ways
Have you been suffering from bad breath or pain around your tonsils recently? Then it might be from undetected tonsil stones! Because of this, you're probably wondering about how to remove tonsil stones you can't see. While they are uncomfortable and cause a host of symptoms, they are also easy to remove as long as you identify it quickly and know how to do so.
It may be the first time for some people to hear about tonsil stones, while others are trying to remedy the problem ASAP. Well, to help you out, I show you some quick and easy solutions on how to get rid of tonsil stones if you can't see them.
What Are Tonsil Stones?
Tonsil stones are also known as tonsilloliths. These are foreign objects made out of calcium, which grow and develop in areas around your tonsils. These benign accumulations of bacteria can be found in the crevices of your tonsils. These stones are white and yellowish, seen as spots on the throat or tonsils.
Tonsil stones would form because of the food particles, gunk, or dead cells are stuck in the nooks and crannies of your tonsils, known as tonsillar crypts. And the white blood cells that attack these types of gunk would result in you having tonsil stones.
How Do You Know If You Have Tonsil Stones?
You will be aware that you have tonsil stones when you can see it in your mouth or back of the throat. But if it isn't seen, you can also experience the following:
- Because you are dealing with bacteria that stays in your tonsils for a period, they will start producing foul-smelling sulfides, which result in bad breath. It will also taste a bit metallic when you swallow or eat. There is also a putrid taste which would keep coming back despite brushing your teeth.
- There is a feeling of discomfort as if there is something stuck in your mouth or tonsils.
- Ear pain or pressure
- Tonsils start to become red or swollen
- Coughing fits
- Difficulty in swallowing
Side Effects of Tonsil Stones
Besides the symptoms of tonsil stones, what could happen if you leave these tonsil stones alone?
Fortunately, tonsil stones are NOT dangerous and use cause discomfort. But that doesn't mean you should let it be. Having these types of stones would signal issues with your oral hygiene, as those who are most susceptible to it follow poor oral habits, such as not bribing their teeth or flossing regularly.
And because of this poor oral issues, there is a risk of tooth decay, oral infections or gum diseases. If tonsil stones are still left untreated, bacteria will begin to breed. Just like dental plaque, it can also cause cavities! That's why it's crucial to remove your tonsil stones immediately.
How to Remove Tonsil Stones You Can't See?
So what is the best way of removing tonsil stones yourself? Here are the five ways you can get rid of these stones for good:
Natural yogurt is another great home remedy for tonsil stones as it contains probiotics, a good type of bacteria that removes the harmful ones. A balanced diet rich in probiotics fights off the bad bacteria as well, so continue to eat your vegetables while reducing your intake of dairy products.
A serving of plain yogurt is equal to 100 grams. Have at least one or two servings of yogurt every day, incorporating it to your meals or as a light snack.
Tips on Safely Removing Your Tonsil Stones
You’re now familiar with methods you can follow when removing tonsil stones, but you should also take note on these tips to ensure that you remove them safely and without any danger:
- When using a cotton swab or fingers to remove the tonsil stones, do NOT poke or go inside too much, as this would trigger your gag reflex and leave you uncomfortable.
- For remedies where you will need to consume a drink or food, only consume the recommended amount. Don’t go overboard, as too much of something can also be bad and aggravate your stomach.
- If ever you feel discomfort while following any of these remedies, stop immediately. It’s also best to see a doctor to see what natural remedy will work for you or if you are taking any medicine.
- For those who have loose tonsil stones that aren’t in reach, light coughing can help get it out. Try "energetic" coughing and spit out the tonsil stone once it is out, rinsing your mouth well right after.
When Do You Need to Remove Your Tonsils?
Now that you know how to remove tonsil stones at home, how will you know when these tonsil stones become severe that you'll need medical attention?
The only time you will need surgery or take medicine for your tonsil stones is if it continues to keep coming back or if there are too many stones around the area that you are unable to remove. Deeply embedded tonsil stones that cannot be removed at home despite these home remedies will need to be removed by an ear, nose and throat specialist.
Amoxicillin is an antibiotic that may help, which creates an environment unsuitable for bacteria. But, it is a short-term treatment that comes with various side effects. Furthermore, the tonsil stones may end up becoming immune to the antibiotics over time.
Recurring tonsil stones may require tonsillectomy or the removal of tonsils. This has risks and is considered as a last resort, discussed by both the patient and doctor before undergoing the procedure.
That is why I would recommend that you start off with any of these home remedies rather than go for antibiotics or severe medical procedures.
How to Prevent Tonsil Stones From Happening Again?
If you have now removed the tonsil stones, then that's great! But what are ways you can prevent it from happening again? Here are some tips you can follow:
- Oral hygiene is the number one tip to make sure that the tonsil stones do NOT happen again. Make sure that you brush your teeth regularly and that you continue to floss your teeth after meals. Brushing your teeth and gargling after meals will help as well, ensuring that your breath is fresh and freeform any food particles or bacteria.
- Using tonsil sprays, mouthwash, and a gentle oral irrigator to wash your tonsils. This will help keep your tonsils healthy and clean.
- Visit your dentist regularly to keep your teeth healthy and free from cavities or bad breath. It all boils down to healthy oral care to ensure that you will have no more tonsil stones for life.
Do you feel like you have tonsil stones forming but can't see them? There are ways on how to remove tonsil stones if you can't see them! With these simple methods, you will have no trouble getting rid of the stones and symptoms that come with it.
I hope that this article on how to get rid of tonsil stones you can't reach help, you become more knowledgeable with removing these pesky tonsil stones yourself without wasting a ton of time and money going to a doctor unless it's needed. So don't wait any longer and find a solution to your tonsil stones today.
If you have any questions or would like to share your tips and experiences with removing tonsil stones at home, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.
If you like the infographic, feel free to use it on your site using the code below