5 Scary Side Effects of Apple Cider Vinegar and How to Prevent It
If you're looking for an amazing super ingredient that will help you become a healthier version of you, then you've got to try apple cider vinegar. It's known to be filled with the necessary nutrients one needs to lose weight while detoxifying your body. But just like consuming any food or drink, too much can be a bad thing. There are also side effects of apple cider vinegar you need to know about to avoid going over your regular dosage and make sure it's okay for you to consume the vinegar in the first place.
So read on as I show you the side effects of apple cider vinegar and other things you need to know about this super ingredient.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is also known as ACV, a form of vinegar created out of apples. Its colors are a bit pale or medium amber, with its unpasteurized and organic versions looking a bit like a cobweb and congealed consistency.
Apple cider vinegar is a form of vinegar created out of apples.
You make this type of vinegar through crushing apples, squeezing out its liquid and adding yeast and bacteria for the fermentation process. The sugars from the apples become alcohol and then transformed into vinegar, with malic and acetic acid giving it the sour flavor.
It has been used as traditional medicine for a long time, with clinical research now supporting its health claims.
Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits
ACV is known for its many health benefits, including:
Apple cider vinegar works to make your hair healthy and shiny.
- ACV is known as a natural conditioner that can help keep your hair untangled and smooth. It keeps your hair shiny and healthy.
- It whitens your teeth and skin. Through applying it on your skin, you'll be able to experience a bright and even skin tone. ACV is also effective as a skin toner for eczema and acne, also treating sunburns or heal poison ivy rashes.
- It's known to help in weight loss, detoxing your body and improving your digestion. ACV promotes fat loss through increasing your metabolism and curbing your appetite.
- Consuming ACV can help cure the common colds and sore throat, fighting the seasonal allergies as well.
- Because it has anti-bacterial properties, ACV is a natural deodorant and kill fungus found between your toes or on your skin. Washing it on your pets will also repel the fleas away.
- It lowers blood pressure, balancing your blood sugar and preventing heart diseases. Through its improvement of insulin sensitivity, it can also improve your diabetes.
- There are other benefits ACV can do, such as cleaning your house naturally or improving the taste of your dishes.
You can learn more about the effect of apple cider vinegar in the video below.
The Side Effects of Apple Cider Vinegar
So what makes ACV dangerous if you consume too much of it? Here are the side effects of apple cider vinegar you need to watch out for:
#1 - Tooth Enamel
If ever you rinse or gargle too much ACV, the acid can damage your teeth's enamel, increasing the risk of having tooth decay. While you can dilute the vinegar with water to protect your teeth, it's still best to consult your doctor to avoid further dental issues.
#2 - Blood Sugar
ACV can help control your blood sugar levels, making it easier to maintain diabetes. It lowers your glucose concentrations in the blood stream. Because of this, it may not help with those who have erratic and uncontrolled glucose levels. The drop of blood sugar may cause seizures or fainting, even putting a person with diabetes at risk of a coma.
No matter the amount you take, people with diabetes must consult their doctor before taking ACV.
Apple cider vinegar can bring about side effects if you take too much.
#3 - Potassium
For those who take in certain types of drugs, taking in ACV along with it can cause an adverse reaction, lowering your potassium levels. Because of this, it can lead to constipation, fatigue, muscle cramps, and abnormal heartbeats.
One case study shows that ACV leads to osteoporosis as the vinegar was leeching minerals away from the bones. BUT, this was due to excessive amounts of ACV, over a cup per day!
So if you are taking any form of medication or drugs, especially related to diabetes, consult a medical professional before consuming ACV.
That's why it's crucial to avoid over consuming ACV. Find balance and stick to a certain amount per day.
#4 - Irritation to the Throat and Stomach
Because of the high content of acetic acid, it would aggravate the esophageal wall, causing raw throats or stomach acidity in those who suffer from heartburn.
It can also delay your stomach from properly emptying, which would cause bloating and nausea.
#5 - Skin Burns
Due to the strong acid content, ACV would cause burns if added too much of it. Especially when undiluted! For those who have wounds or blemishes, dilute your ACV with water before application.
How Much Apple Cider Vinegar Should I Take?
Now that you know what excessive amounts of ACV can do for your body, how much should you take per day?
The right dosage is the key to using apple cider vinegar.
There is no set amount one should drink per day. I recommend you to avoid consuming over three tablespoons of ACV a day. Stick to two teaspoons to one tablespoon when consuming it.
Bathing with ACV or using it for cleaning? Then make sure that you mix it with equal parts water to avoid the acid from killing your furniture's quality or skin and hair health.
Tips on How to Use and Consume Apple Cider Vinegar Properly
Here are some great examples on how you can properly use ACV:
Here Are Some Great Examples on How You Can Properly Use ACV
Apple cider vinegar is widely used in life, from the kitchen to the bathroom.
- Create a facial toner by mixing two tablespoons of ACV with a quarter cup of water. Apply it on your face with cotton, let it sit for ten minutes, and rinse.
- You can add a tablespoon of ACV to your first glass of water in the morning. It helps detoxify your body. You can consume it daily for optimum and long-term results. I love waking up to the slightly sour taste of ACV mixed with my first cup of water in the morning! If you're not like me and want a bit of sweetness, add a tablespoon of honey for a delicious drink.
- Want to use it as a cleaner? Mix a cup of water with a cup of ACV, along with three drops of essential oil. Mix it in a spray bottle and use it to wipe your furniture.
- Use ACV in your bath to detoxify and cleanse your skin. Add about a cup of ACV to your bath with Epsom salts and a few drops of lavender oil.
- For your hair, you can rinse 1/3 cup of ACV with four cups of water. Pour it on your hair after you shampoo. Rinse it with cold water after ten minutes.
When it comes to living a healthier life and taking in apple cider vinegar for a better body, you'll want to make sure that you take it correctly and in the recommended amounts. After all, the side effects of apple cider vinegar can be quite severe if you aren't careful. But as long as you continue the routine and drink a tablespoon of this stuff every morning? I'm sure you'll be able to reap the benefits it has to offer.
I hope that this article on the side effects of apple cider vinegar helped you become more knowledgeable on what you need to know about this wonder ingredient and the things it can do for you, may it be good or bad. Now you know what to expect, start living the healthy life and use apple cider vinegar today.
If you have any questions or would like to share your experiences about the benefits or side effects of apple cider vinegar, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.