The one thing men care for most is their facial hair. For those growing a beard, beard shampoo is a necessity that will help maintain the hair and keep it growing effortlessly. But with the many shampoos available, which one should you be investing in? It can get quite confusing, especially if you just started caring for your beard.
So, read on as I show you the ultimate purchasing guide to this product and my top five choices.
Table of Contents
- Beard Shampoo vs. Regular Shampoo
- Is It Worth Shampooing Your Beard?
- The Benefits of Using Shampoo Specialized for Beards
- Making Shampoo for Beards Yourself
- How to Select Shampoo for My Beard
- When to Wash a Beard
- How to Proceed
- Special Cases
- Top Five Best Beard Shampoos
- #1 - Professor Fuzzworthy's Beard Shampoo by Beauty and the Bees Tasmania
- #2 - Beard Wash All Natural Beard Shampoo by Mountaineer Brand
- #3 - BEARD WASH SHAMPOO 6oz. Tube by GRAVE BEFORE SHAVE
- #4 - Beard Growth and Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner by Polished Gentleman
- #5 - Beard Care Products by Beardsley and Company
- In Conclusion
Beard Shampoo vs. Regular Shampoo
Why should you choose shampoos for beards in the first place? You probably think that your regular shampoo and conditioner will work the same. Well, that's where you're wrong! While these two types of shampoo both clean your hair and leave a nice smell, they play different roles.
For starters, shampoos for beards are specialized for facial hair. Just take a look at the ingredients on both beard and regular shampoos. The regular shampoo contains sulfates, which wash away liquids and removes oil from your hair and skin. This is okay for the hair on your head, but you do NOT want that with your beard, as it will make it dry and unmanageable. Plus, regular shampoo will weaken beard hair roots and cause it to have split ends.
Shampoos for beards come with ingredients that work with your hair's natural oils. They include cocoa butter, jojoba oil, olive oil, shea butter, and even coconut oil to keep your beard soft and smooth. Beard shampoos keeps your beard smelling pleasant as well.
Is It Worth Shampooing Your Beard?
Now that you're familiar with the difference between beard and regular shampoos, do you think it's worth it? I mean, why should anyone shampoo a beard in the first place?
I answer this with a huge YES. After all, beard (and mustache) products have been around for years, growing in popularity as time passes. With industries creating new forms of facial care products and millions of men around the world purchasing the best products for their beard, there is no reason to think that caring for the hair around your face isn't as important as doing so in your head.
If you're planning on growing a beard, then shampoos like these can help you achieve longer and stronger beards. By using a product with NO harmful chemicals, you are assured that both your facial hair and skin won't be negatively affected.
The reason why I recommend shampooing your beard is that the extra care will prevent it from looking dirty and shabby. There are many common contaminants that can leave facial hair looking untidy and unkempt, especially if you don't know how to maintain your beard well.
But I'll talk about that more in the next section.
The Benefits of Using Shampoo Specialized for Beards
So, why should you be shampooing your beard? Here's my before and after story and the benefits it gave me
Once I began growing a beard, I soon realized that it was harder than I thought. You don't just wash it every day. You need to comb it, style it, and care for your face just to make sure that the beard doesn't make you feel uncomfortable. It made me realize that I had to invest in proper beard care products if I wanted to keep my facial hair clean, free of split ends, dry hair, and even these rotten dust bunnies that made my hair look so dirty.
And once I started using specialized shampoos for beards, I realized: I've been missing this ever since I began growing my beard. The shampoo helped remove the pollen and particles flying around the air from my beard, which is very helpful for a chap like me who spends lots of time in a city with tons of smog and pollution.
My beard even became softer and smoother than it did when I was using regular hair care products. I looked even more handsome than before (as conceited as that sounds), and with a silky beard that looked and smelled as manly as I feel. It also helped with beard growth, since I can also choose a beard grower shampoo to encourage it to grow long and smooth.
Before, my beard used to look okay, but a bit dirty and dry. It was also irritating and itchy, especially on hot days out in the sun. But once I started using shampoos for my beard, I felt more comfortable and confident. However, you've got to take note of the type of shampoo you're going to purchase, which we'll be tackling in the next sections.
Making Shampoo for Beards Yourself
Did you know that there is an alternative to using shampoos specialized for beards and you can make one on your own using a homemade recipe?
There are several ways to make shampoo for beards, using a mixture of healthy and essential oils with water. There are also fresh alternatives as well, I still recommend you purchase your shampoo from trusted sources because creating shampoo for beards requires certain ingredients that may be hard to find. Plus, you are assured positive results when using a shampoo used by many other men around the world that has a proven track record.
How to Select Shampoo for My Beard
Choosing a shampoo for beards may be quite daunting, especially if it's your first time. You're probably wondering: "What's a good shampoo for my beard?"
So, to help you find the best shampoo for beards, here are some tips to help you out:
- I recommend you to choose organic or botanical shampoos that contain mild formulas. Focus on shampoos that contain natural oils and contain vitamin B5 to help with your beard and the skin below it. High-quality shampoos include those that contain coconut, olive, or sunflower seed oil. Avoid shampoos with phenoxyethanol, as it strips away natural oils needed by your beard.
- The scent is another vital factor. The shampoo should have a subtle manly scent, that is not too strong and is attractive for both you and your partners (or potential dates and colleagues).
- Quality shampoo should be registered and have passed cosmetic industry regulations. Good packaging will also help to extend shelf live and preserve the natural ingredients contained in the shampoo.
- Don't disregard price. Get the best price-quality ratio. So while it may seem a bit expensive at first, a more expensive shampoo may have better quality, but avoid overspending as well. It's best to check beard shampoo and conditioner reviews (like this one) to help get an idea of what you truly want.
When to Wash a Beard
Another question many guys with beards ask is how often they should shampoo. Some people say you should shampoo your beard every day, but that's not the case.
Those with short beards don't need to worry, as they can use regular shampoo (though beware of the itchiness). For those who want to grow their beard and maintain a longer beard, it's best to avoid shampooing daily. That's why I recommend that you shampoo your beard two to three times a week.
This way, your natural oils stay intact, which keeps your beard healthier. As long as you maintain your beard properly with other beard care products (like brushes and conditioner), your beard will look and feel better, without the itchiness.
How to Proceed
When using beard shampoo, here are the basic steps to help you out:
- Rub the shampoo until it begins to lather.
- Once you have it well lathered, rub it deep into your beard, massaging it down to the hair follicle, to remove dead skin. Leave it for about five minutes to allow the shampoo’s oils to penetrate your hair and skin. You may also want to add beard conditioner after, which can also help with beard growth.
- Rinse very thoroughly with warm water to open the skin pores. Avoid scrubbing too much. Gently massage your beard. Move the hair in all directions to ensure that there is no shampoo residue left.
- To dry your beard, pat a clean towel on the area very gently, as your beard is delicate. Rubbing it too roughly will end up pulling some hair out and damaging the ends. You can also apply beard oil and beard balm after drying it well, which can help improve its texture and length.
Here is an excellent video that will show you how to wash your beard with beard shampoo correctly:
Just like the hair on our scalp, people may suffer from various hair issues such as dandruff or itchiness. So, to help you out, here are some tips:
If you happen to have dandruff, you can use a medicated shampoo or beard shampoos that focus on reducing the accumulation of dandruff in that area. Deep conditioning your beard with conditioner and applying beard oil right after washing it helps. If push comes to shove and the dandruff is still noticeable, then it’s best to shave it off and regrow it again.
Beards either become itchy because of shaving or from the accumulation of dust and dirt from the outside world. To reduce the itchiness, you will need to use conditioner with your shampoo and moisturizer right after. Regular trimmings and brushing will help your beard grow in a single direction and reduce tangling and scratching.
Beard Growth and Thickening
The length of your beard may depend on genetics and external factors, so it may not grow as easily as other men’s beards. To help encourage thickness and growth, avoid shaving your beard and continue to wash and condition it as usual, this time using products specializing in beard growth. It’s also helpful to take biotin supplements and establish a healthier eating and workout regime, taking in a lot of fruits and vegetables. Be patient. It will take time, so continue caring for your beard and it will begin to grow.
Top Five Best Beard Shampoos
Out of all the products we tried and tested, here are the top five best ones in my book:
If you are planning to start growing a beard or need to keep it long and smooth, then just like the hair on your scalp, you must also invest in the right products to keep it looking great. One of the necessities that will do wonders for your beard is shampoos for beards. Beard shampoos are known to reduce fuzz, keep your beard from itching and reduce dandruff. Also, with an effective shampoo, you won't need to worry about any discomfort around your beard anymore.
Out of all the products we tested and reviewed, I would recommend #1 - Professor Fuzzworthy's Beard Shampoo by Beauty and the Bees Tasmania the most. With its natural oils and quality ingredients, you are assured that no synthetic ingredients are damaging your skin and that your facial hair stays healthy and awesome looking.
With its great scent, you and your partner will appreciate the masculine woody smell it gives off. It's something that is worth purchasing for all men with beards.
I hope that this article on bread shampoos and shampoo recommendations helped you become more knowledgeable about maintaining your beard. So, what are you waiting for? Try any of these shampoos today and enjoy the benefits they have to offer.
If you have any questions or would like to share your reviews on the shampoo you use for your beard, then comment down below. I would love to know what you think about other beard products.
Related articles that you may like
If you like the infographic, feel free to use it on your site using the code below